POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can I bake UV textures with Povray? : Re: Can I bake UV textures with Povray? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can I bake UV textures with Povray?
From: Slime
Date: 20 Aug 2004 19:01:25
Message: <412682c5@news.povray.org>
> - creating the pigment map: once the uvs are created, you can use POV-Ray
> "bake" whatever pigment into a bitmap, as previously explained. The
> limitation is that the 3D-ishness of the procedural mapping will be lost,
> which can be a problem if the aspect of the final texture really depends
on
> it (like wood for instance). Of course, it's still possible to use POV-Ray
> to generate some basic maps and put them together by hand on the final
> texture map.

I'm not sure you really understand. The 3D-ishness won't be lost; in fact,
if the final UV map were of infinite resolution, the resulting UV mapped
mesh will look *exactly* the same as if it were still using the procedural
texture. The goal is to make a UV-map which, when mapped to the mesh, will
look the same. This has to be done by sampling the procedural texture along
the (probably curved and 3D) surface of the mesh and then transferring those
samples onto a 2D image.

I'm wondering if there's a way to do this with a (really really complicated)
function{}, when the vertex indices, faces, and uv coordinates of the mesh
are specified as SDL arrays. I'm going to experiment...

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]